The success of the internet , effectively invented by Tim Berners-Lee is due to the fact that it was open source and therefore free to use. Yes you pay for access via your connection , but the internet itself is free to use. If it hadn't been it would have just become another closed network. This was explained to me on TV last night on a program I caught some of while channel hopping , but it was probably on BBC4.
This morning Terry Wogan on the radio mentioned a cook who "peeled peas" , I hope this was a joke rather than some mad new cooking methodology, Sunday Lunch will take weeks to prepare unless Primark take over the supply with their vast army of slave labour (how else do you sell shirts for £3 , it's certainly not economies of scale).
One of the things the internet allows is anyone can use it to be contacted or to advertise effectively for free , though people have to be able to find you. Here are four sites which are essentially information sites about the owner and their trade but have still managed to generate sales of their products be it pictures or plants.
- Woodlands Nursery - Plants in Louth, Lincolnshire
- Bob Armstrong - Landscape Artist
- Mark Johnson Travel Photography - Some amazing European photography
- Paul Campbell - Scriptwriter (Eastenders , Casualty , Doctors . IMDB Entry here)
- Mark Johnson Aircraft - Professional Aircraft photography featuring some amazing shots.
- Harry Willis - Gas Boiler Servicing and related services in Newcastle